When are grant applications considered?
- The Nautilus Foundation Board of Trustees meet once each month to consider all grant applications.
- The closing date for applications is the 15th of each month.
- Please ensure that grants applications are submitted at least
2 months before the due date of when the funding is required,
otherwise the application may be declined or not meet your funding
- Please note grant applications are only submitted to the Board
for consideration if they meet the authorised purposes and have
Use of proceeds
The proceeds from gaming machines can only be used for particular
authorised purposes. The authorised purpose theTrust has been licensed
for is "distributions to groups promoting
amateur sport, charitable organisations, cultural or philanthropic
activities for the benefit of the New Zealand community in a non-commercial
sense". Grants will not be made for commercial activities whatsoever.
Click here for a list of examples of purposes
which the Department of internal affairs consider would not be valid
authorised purposes in terms of the Gaming and Lotteries Act.
- Purchase or subsidy of alcohol, including the provision of inventory
for a hotel.
- Payment of legal expenses incurred by a site operator.
- Construction or alteration work to bar areas of thepremises
where gaming machines are located (other than the gaming machine
installation expenses as allowed for in the licence conditions).
- Maintenance or provision of bar facilities.
- Funding of advertising or marketing schemes for operator sites.
- Costs associated with staging "after-match" functions
for sporting groups.
- Provision of subsidy of cost of entertainment, food or refreshments.
- Paying off previously incurred promotional debts.
- Grants to non-affiliated "social" sports or social
- Cash prizes or large non-cash prizes.
- "Trade tournaments" or sporting events staged primarily
for the commercial publicity and/or the benefit of a selected
- Hotel "courtesy vans" used to ferry patrons home,
or vehicles for motorsport.
- Commercial tourist promotions.
- A purpose which will result in a clear commercial gain or profit
for an individual or organisation.
- Any individual sport person unless the grant is made to, and
administered by, an incorporated sporting body to which the individual
- Family Reunions
- Events or trips which are predominantly social in nature.
- Purchase or subsidy of vehicles intended for purposes associated
with social functions.
- Prizes for sporting events except for trophies or modest non-cash
prizes for use in genuine community sporting events (the definition
of "modest" will in each case be determined by the size
of the event concerned).
- Dress uniforms.
- Grants supporting the commercial wing of the racing industry,
e.g. the breeding of race horses or the payment of jockeys or
facilities that benefit non-public areas.
- Expenses to be incurred overseas.
Retrospective payment of donations/grants
The Trust is unable to approve payment for anything you have already paid for. Applications should be forward focused ie. for an event in the future. Any application which has receipts is retrospective. Make sure your organisation applies for funds before your event/project/purchase
Allocation must be made for the purposes
within New Zealand
To meet Inland Revenue requirements, all grants must be utilised
for purposes within New Zealand for New Zealand services or goods.
Sporting events or tournaments
Travel and accommodation costs (not to include any food or alcohol
costs) may be processed provided an "official" itinerary
endorsed by the host body is supplied along with an itemized breakdown
of the quoted costs. Participating clubs/organisations must be taking
part in a bona fide event sanctioned by a recognised, legitimate
national or regional body.
USE OF GRANT FUNDING WHEN APPROVED
- The approved grant funding is only to be used for the specific items as stipulated in the approval letter.
- You cannot change the purpose of your application as this would require submitting a new application form and a refund of the approved grant funds.
- It is expected the items approved for funding will be purchased using the suppliers quoted in the application form.
However, if there is a good reason to change suppliers (e.g. supplier is out of stock or closed down), you must contact the Nautilus office as soon as possible to get approval for any supplier changes before using the approved grant funds.
- All transactions using the grant funds for the purchase of approved items should be made directly from applicant’s nominated bank account.
- Cash payments for goods and services are not acceptable as this does not meet our accountability processes.
Please do not hesitate to contact the office if you have any questions or are unsure about anything relating to the expenditure of grant funds.